We all want to “Go Green” and live in a healthy environment. I never thought it could make a big difference but my mindset has been altered and below are some reasons why a small change will makes a big difference. Please attempt these because it is true – one person can change the world.
- Keep your fireplace damper closed unless a fire is going. An open fireplace can allow up to 10% of your home’s heat escape.
- Public Transportation
- Try and take public transportation as much as possible. The reason is because each year, public transportation saves about 1.4 Billion gallons of gas.
- Rechargeable Batteries
- Every year over 3 Billion batteries are sold. After usage, most end up in landfills. Rechargeable batteries don’t allow for that because you can re-use them!
- So much waste is sent to landfills every year that it can cover the state of Pennsylvania. If you recycle, that amount can be reduced by 75%!
- Light Bulb
- If each home changed only 5 light bulbs with energy efficient bulbs, over 1 Trillion pounds of greenhouse gases would be kept out of the air.
- Brushing your teeth
- Turning off the tap while you’re brushing your teeth can save over 5 Gallons of water per day. This change could add up to 1.4 Billion gallons per lifetime.
- Bottled Water
- Over 60 Million plastic water bottles are thrown away every day. Recycle your empty bottles or refill them.
- The average home throws out over 90,000 pounds of trash in a lifetime. Do your best to Reduce – Reuse – Recycle.
- If you’re not using your old or broken electronics, give them back. Many companies including Apple and Microsoft will be happy to recycle them for you.
- These companies will not “fix” the electronics and re-sell them. They will destroy it properly and use the compounds to recreate other newer and faster technologies.
- Don’t be part of the problem by throwing them out.
You can make a difference. Good Luck!
(If you want to know how to “Go Green” at work, click here)