A Boston-based startup, Subverses is helping to revolutionize the way people learn new languages.
Their game is called “Subverses Covert” and it is a 2D stealth role-playing game where the player is a corporate spy on an intel-gathering mission, which allows the player to acquire and use new language skills.
The company has promised to create the most effective tools for their users to acquire a second language, and in doing so, will help build real financial and cultural value to their lives.
Subverses is developing this game for people who want a more immersive and engaging language learning experience. As users play Subverses Covert, they are able to naturally acquire new vocabulary and phrases as they blend into this foreign world. Languages are best learned through engaging situational context. In the game, you engage in your target language by eavesdropping, stealing access codes, relaying misinformation, etc.
The plan to launch the game is during the summer of 2015, and it will be available in Spanish, English, French, and German. The game will be accessible on all internet-enabled devices.
I was told that interested users would be able to play the first three levels of the game for any of the languages, at no cost.
As we’re progressing toward a world of Globalization, where people, companies and governments of different nations will collaborate more often, a language learning process is necessary for all of us. Currently, just over 5% of the world speaks English, and it’s a great investment to learn at least another language, without breaking the bank.
Subverses has also launched a Kickstarter crowd funding campaign with a base fundraising goal of $20,000. This money will be used to help support the development and launch of their language learning video game.
If you’re interested in helping out, check out their Kickstarter Campaign:
The cofounders of Subverses:
- Blaine Stillerman (UMass Amherst)
- Leo Creatini (UMass Amherst)
- Mike Buciuman-Coman (UMass Amherst)
The Board of Advisors:
- Tom Hughes: Co-Founder/Chief Design Officer at IdeaLab. Former Creative Director at Apple.
- Jonathan Myers: Co-Founder and CEO at Reactive Studies – Game Development Company.
- Dr. Olenka Bilash: Second Language Acquisition Program Development Consultant.
- Dr. Jonita Stepp-Greany: Second Language Acquisition Program Development Consultant.
- Martin Greenberg: Project Manager at Upload NYC. Former IBM Software Analyst.
- Robert Cavezza: Software Developer at Eaton Vance. Expert Back-end Web Developer.
- David Moskin: Business Management Consultant.